Cannabis tea can be made using all parts of the marijuana plant and it just might be the most relaxing way to get high. Learn how to make weed tea with your stems, flower, cannabutter, or even tincture with these easy recipes.
What is a cannabis tea?
Given the versatility of the plant, you may ask can you make tea with marijuana? The answer is a defiant yes, by infusing your favorite tea with marijuana and first making it soluble. You will need to mix the cannabis in a fatty substance like oil or dairy (an alcohol base like a tincture works as well) then bring it to a boil. Another method is decarboxylation used for dried herb that is only mixed with water. Both methods will activate the THC in the cannabinoids, which is the element that produces a high.
Benefits of cannabis tea
Weed infused drinks take a little more effort than smoking bud, but the benefits are well worth the effort.
- Easy to consume
- Mix with many flavor teas
- Mild, long-lasting effect
- Relieve stress, nausea, body pain and other medical aliments
- Healthier than smoking
- Adjustable potency
- Use un-smokable parts of the plant
Basic science of weed tea
The science behind weed tea includes your strain, plant parts, and method of consumption. All will affect how potent your tea will become.
First, you must choose a strain. Decide which kind of high you would like. An indica strain will offer a body high that will help you sleep and a sativa strain will give you a head high and more energy. Try a hybrid to find the right balance and remember the other ingredients in your tea will contribute to the relaxing effects of your recipe.
Next, decide which part of the plant that you have on hand. Stems are the most convenient as you will not be smoking them. The trichomes on stems contain THC, but not as much as the bud itself. This will give you a milder high depending on the age of the stems and how much you use. You can also use flower or some left over kief. Either one will produce a higher concentrate of THC depending on your strain.
Finally, you may have made cannabutter or a weed tincture beforehand. A marijuana tea is a great alternative to traditional edibles. Use butter and tincture sparingly as these are the most potent methods.
How to make cannabis tea
Tea with weed stems
By making pot tea with your stems, you will use a part if the plant that is usually tossed away. Also, this a great weed tea recipe for someone with a lower tolerance to THC as stems contain less cannabinoids as leaves. Remember that stems must be heated by decarboxylation beforehand if you using only water to infuse your tea. In this recipe, you can use dairy to make the weed soluble.
- Medium pot
- Coffee grinder or food processor
- Coffee/tea filter or cheese cloth
- 2 Tea cups
- ¼ of ground cannabis stems
- 1 cup of preferred dairy or alternative milk
- 3 cups of water
- Preferred tea bag or loose tea
- Optional sweetener like honey or sugar
- Grind the stems as much as possible to spread it throughout the dairy.
- Place the dairy in a medium pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the ground stems and boil for 5-7 minutes. Stir the mixture often.
- Strain the dairy mixture into a tea cup using a filter or cheese cloth. Wait until it cools then be sure to squeeze out all of the liquid.
- Boil 3 cups of water in the medium pot and brew 3x the amount of tea bags or loose tea for two servings. This is to ensure that the dairy does not over power the tea flavor.
- Pour half of the brewed tea in a second tea cup.
- Add half of the dairy mixture to the second teacup and the rest of the brewed tea to the first tea cup to get two servings.
- Sweeten your tea as desired.
- Let it cool before drinking or chill it in the refrigerator for an iced tea later.
The best way to make marijuana tea get you high is to use a prepared cannabutter. The potency will depend on which recipe and strain you used for with butter. By using a premade butter, your green cannatea will already be decarboxylated and THC will be activated. You can also add in some loose bud as long as you heat it either by boiling it with the cannabutter or heating it in an oven for at least 30 minutes at 270 degrees F before adding it to the weed tea.
- Medium pot
- Cheese cloth or tea/coffee filter
- Large cup
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of cannabutter (more if loose cannabis is not used)
- Optional ½ gram of ground cannabis (more if using stems)
- Optional tea bags or sweeteners
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add the cannabutter and stir until melted.
- Add the optional ground cannabis (either heated in an oven prior or boil now for 40 minutes adding water as it evaporates).
- Stain the weed tea through a cheese cloth or filter.
- Add a tea bag or sweetener to include flavor.
- Let cool for 5 minutes until drinkable and then consume or refrigerator for later.
My favorite marijuana tea
This marijuana tea uses high-quality trimmings with the relaxing and detoxing effects of chamomile and rose bud. You can also add coconut milk to enhance the flavor and provide natural electrolytes to the body. Since we are using flower, you must decarb the weed before adding it to the tea.
- Cookie sheet
- Medium pot
- Tea infuser
- Tea cup
- 2 tsp of ground cannabis
- 2 tsp of dried chamomile
- 2 tsp of dried rose bud
- 1 cup of water
- Optional coconut milk
- Place the ground cannabis on a cookie sheet and heat in an oven for 30 minutes at 270 degrees F.
- Boil a cup of water or enough to fill your tea cup.
- Add the water to your tea cup.
- Place the cannabis, chamomile, and rose bud in a tea infuser. Place it in the water and steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Add optional coconut milk.
- Let your tea cool and consume immediately for best results.