We all know that smoking marijuana can ease stress and calm us down, but smokers also know that you can get a sore throat from smoking weed. Too many blunts or joints will have you coughing up phleghm, and experts confirm that heavy users may experience sinus infections and sore throat. But no need head to the drugstore – fortunately, there are lots of natural sore throat remedies for a sore throat from smoking weed. Here are 17 great ones.
1. Gargle with salt and water. This good, old-fashioned remedy has been around for a long time. Mix a teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water and gargle. Alternatively, a baking soda gargle can also work to ease a sore throat from smoking weed. Just mix half a teaspoon of baking powder with a glass of warm water and gargle.
2. Honey. Honey has antibacterial properties that can soothe a sore throat. You can mix 4 to 5 teaspoons of honey into a cup of tea or water. You can also put honey into herbal weed tea.
3. Garlic. The stuff that you sprinkle on pizza has antiseptic properties, but for a sore throat, it’s best to take garlic in its raw form or a couple of garlic capsules to ease the pain.
4. Vitamin C. You can take vitamin C tablets or increase your intake of foods rich in vitamin C such as tomatoes, oranges, strawberries and the like.
5. Boost your immune system. To relieve a sore throat from smoking weed, take supplements such as zinc, magnesium, or goldenseal to strengthen your immune system.
6. Humidifier. A humidifier can add moisture to the air and helps your sore throat from drying out further. Don’t have one? Improvise by placing a bowl of water in front of the radiator or heating vent.
7. Ginger tea. You can slice a few pieces of ginger root and boil it in 5 cups of water. Add honey to taste and drink while still warm.
8. Scented oils. Inhaling essential oils such as thyme or lavender can bring relief to a sore throat from smoking weed.
9. Chamomile tea. Chamomile reduces inflammation and throat pain. Take two bags of chamomile tea and steep in a cup of hot water, add honey, and sip the tea slowly.
10. Spices. A mixture of ground spices such as peppercorn, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and dry ginger boiled in two cups of water for five minutes will give a soothing warmth to your sore and itchy throat.
11. Chicken soup. Chicken soup is not only a great cold remedy, but it can also help relieve a painful sore throat from smoking weed (and satisfy your Munchies). If you can’t cook it from scratch, you can doctor up some chicken broth with a few vegetables, herbs, and a few bits of boiled chicken.
12. Echinacea. Echinacea drops can help relieve a sore and itchy throat. To use, squirt the drops directly on the back of your throat and do this every hour until your throat feels better.
13. Licorice. You can have a bit of licorice tea to soothe your sore throat, but don’t overdo it as large amounts can cause blood pressure to spike and it can also decrease your potassium levels.
14. Vicks VapoRub. Massage this classic mentholated rub onto your chest and neck before going to bed. For best results, cover your neck and chest with a thin towel or cloth after application.
15. Basil leaves. You can boil basil leaves in water and drink it like tea, or use the mixture as a gargle if you don’t like the taste.
16. Sugar-free popsicles. The popsicle can soothe an inflamed throat and decrease irritation. Take care to consume only sugar-free popsicles as sweetened ones can make a sore throat even worse.
17. Steam. Inhaling steam can do a lot to soothe a sore throat. You can take a hot shower or lean over a sink filled with hot water while covering your head with a towel to trap the steam.
Try any of these natural remedies the next time you get a sore throat from smoking weed. If your sore throat persists, consult your doctor to see if you have marijuana allergies.
By Lucy Wyndham